Rabi Joann Yousif
Motwa Assyrian School 9131 Niles Center Road Skokie, IL 60076
Student Body and Curriculum
- Approximately 300 students attend the school.
- We have seven classes: Grades 1 – 7.
- We have a pre-school class for students ranging from ages 4-5.
- Our skilled and experienced teachers follow a set of guidelines and a teaching curriculum.
- The courses include Assyrian language, history and culture.
- The school is totally free of charge for all students.
- The school semester begins on the Saturday following Labor Day.
- The school semester ends on the first Saturday of June every year.
- Students that have previously attended classes at Motwa go to their assigned classes on the first day of school.
- Registration for new students is on the Saturday following Labor Day and continues through the month of September.
- New students are required to take a placement exam in order to determine their Assyrian language skill and level. They are assigned to their classes according to their test results.
Saturday Class Schedule
- School is open from 11:00am to 3:00pm.
- 11:00am to 12:30pm: Assyrian language studies.
- 12:30pm to 1:30pm: Lunch and free time.
- 1:30 pm to 3:00pm: Extra-curricular activities related to the Assyrian culture.
Students are expected to participate in the following events during the school year:
- Christmas: Attend a Christmas party with Santa Claus. Students will sing Christmas songs and dance to Assyrian folklore music.
- Valentine’s Day: Students read the story of Valentine and design and write cards for their loved ones.
- Assyrian New Year – April 1 (“Akeeto”): Students have the opportunity to be a part of the parade and sit on Motwa’s float or walk while waving the Assyrian flag.
- Assyrian Language Day – April 21: Students participate by singing Assyrian songs and also present plays for the occasion.
- Resurrection Feast: Students are required to dress up for this occasion. They will color eggs in their classrooms and take them home to their parents.
- Mother’s Day: Students design and write cards for their mothers. They usually present a song for the occasion if there is a party at Motwa.
- Graduation (Last Day of School): Students receive their grades and their diplomas on graduation day. All parents are invited to attend. Every class presents either a song, play, or conversation in the Assyrian language. Lunch is served to everyone in attendance and parents are encouraged to bring sweets and deserts.
For more information about the Assyrian school, please contract Rabi Joann Yousif at (847)651-0711.
Click on the video below for more information